The Millar family first appear in the parish registers of Hamilton but quickly moved to Glasgow where they remained for three generations. The family was part of the Presbyterian congregation of the Greyfriars church in Glasgow, one of the most active groups that led to the founding of the Presbyterian church in Scotland. Because of this, tracing baptisms of children has been difficult. The younger sons of the family joined the British Army and fought in the Napoleonic Wars, before settling down in Edinburgh in the closes around the Canongate.
MILLAR of Glasgow
William MILLAR (?-<1717) of Glassford, Hamilton, Lanarkshire father of the following:
Hugh MILLAR (~1695-?) of Glasgow, Lanarkshire born ~1695 in Glassford, Hamilton, Lanarkshire. Married Marion McFARLANE 23 May 1717 at Hamilton. Their children (all born in Glasgow) are:
- Agnes MILLAR (1720-?) baptised 16 Oct 1720. Godparents were John INGLES and Archibald CARDUFFE.
- Mary MILLAR (1722-?) died Jun 1722.
- Andrew MILLAR (1726-?) baptised 24 Apr 1726. Godparents were John MAXWELL and Archibald CARNDUFFE.
- Hugh MILLAR (?-1729) died Glasgow 1729.
- Hugh MILLAR (1729-1785) of whom following:
Hugh MILLAR (1729-1785) of Glasgow, Lanarkshire born there Dec 1729, baptised 20 Dec 1729, godparents were John MAXWELL and Archibald CARNDUFFE. He married 12 Dec 1754 Katherine STEWART at New Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire. Their children were born in Glasgow and baptised in Greyfriars Presbyterian church. Hugh was a sugar merchant. Died in Glasgow. Their children were:
- Walter MILLAR (1757-?) born 22 Feb 1757, baptised at Greyfriars 27 Feb 1757.
- Alexander MILLAR (1759-?) born 13 Jun 1759, baptised at Greyfriars 15 Jun 1759.
- John MILLAR (1762-?) born 26 Nov 1762, baptised at Greyfriars 28 Nov 1762.
- James MILLAR (1765-?) born 6 Jun 1765, baptised at Greyfriars 9 Jun 1765. Possibly the James MILLAR who was godfather to Stewart MILLAR (1812-1889), in which case he may have been in the military.
- Stewart MILLAR (1767-?) of whom following.
- Helen MILLAR (?-1768) no baptism traced, died in Glasgow.
- Ann MILLAR (1769-?) born 15 Dec 1769, baptised at Greyfriars 17 Dec 1769.
Stewart MILLAR (1767-1829) Soldier and Stockingmaker of Edinburgh was born 29 Jun 1767 in Glasgow and baptised at Greyfriars 2 Jul 1767. He was apprenticed at a stockingmaker in Glasgow, and signed up for the 97th regiment of foot in Paisley in 1794. He was sent from Paisley to Perth to join the regiment on the 12 Oct 1794, but was mugged by 3 drovers servants along the road who robbed him of his clothes and bounty – he arrived at Perth literally naked. He remained with the 97th regiment before being transferred to the 42nd regiment, the fore-runner of the Black Watch regiment. His service with the 42nd regiment included 2 years in the West Indies, before being posted to Egypt in the Napoleonic wars. He saw action in Egypt, receiving a wound on his right thigh in late January or early February 1801, possibly at the battle of Alexandria. He was discharged from the army at Winchester 24 Feb 1802 and returned to his trade of stockingmaking. He was described as 5′ 7″ tall, brown hair, grey eyes, long visage and swarthy complexion. He married Helen MACKAY 2 May 1803 in Canongate, Edinburgh, daughter of Alexander MACKAY; he probably moved back to Glasgow straight after his marriage. Sometime in 1804, he re-enlisted to the 6th Royal Veteran’s Batallion which was posted to Lerwick, Shetland and then to Fort George near Inverness. Although all but one baptism of his children cannot be found. He was discharged from the battalion still suffering from the wound in his thigh as well as rheumatism in 1814 – his discharge papers now describe him as having fair (presumably grey) hair. He received a pension for a wife and 5 children which was to be paid to him c/o his brother in law Peter CAMPBELL, taylor in Godlocks Land, Lawnmarket, Edinburgh. Lived in St Cuthbert’s, Edinburgh, died Dec 1829 and buried at St Cuthbert’s Edinburgh.
- ?Hugh MILLAR (~1804-?) born Lerwick?, suggested name based on naming criteria usually used by Scots families. One of this name married in St Cuthbert’s Edinburgh 18 Jan 1824 to Ann DAVIDSON who may be him.
- ?Alexander MILLAR (~1805-?) born Lerwick?, suggested name based on naming criteria used by many Scots families. One of this name married in St Cuthbert’s, Edinburgh 29 Aug 1825 to Margaret FORBES.
- Jean MILLAR (~1806-<1841) born Lerwick?, married 5 Jan 1823 to Joseph ROBERTSON at St Cuthbert’s, Edinburgh. She had a daughter Ann Pirnie ROBERTSON (born 7 Mar 1824). She died before the 1841 census.
- Catherine MILLAR (~1808-<1841) born Lerwick?, married 5 Oct 1829 Joseph ANTONIO (1806-1856) at St Cuthbert’s. He was a cabinet maker, born in Modena, possibly Italy. They had four sons: Joseph (1829-?), James (1831-?), Stewart (?-1832) and Thomas (1835-1890). Catherine died before the 1841 census. Joseph ANTONIO is on the 1851 census as ‘Joseph ANTHONY’ and he died at the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh in 1856.
- Stewart MILLAR (1812-1889) of whom following.
- Helen MILLAR (1814/7-1868) born probably in Edinburgh. Married 24 Jan 1834 William SOUTH at South Leith (see SOUTH lineage) and had issue 1 son and 7 daughters. She died 20 Mar 1868 in 116 Cowgate, Edinburgh.
- Bell (possibly Isobel) MILLAR (?-1819) buried in Edinburgh.
- Mary Ann MILLAR (?-1822) buried in Edinburgh.
Stewart MILLAR (1812-1889) house painter of Edinburgh was born 11 Apr 1812 at Fort George and baptised in the Fort chapel on the same day. The witnesses were Corporal William WRIGHT and James MILLAR, the latter of whom may have been the child’s uncle (q.v.) and the baptism is entered in the register of Ardersier. Stewart married 1st 20 May 1838 Mary RENNIE at South Leith. She died soon afterwards without issue and Stewart married 2nd Ann LAMBERT (1806-?) 12 Aug 1845 at Canongate church, Edinburgh. Stewart died 7 Oct 1889 at 23, Union Row, Edinburgh. His children with Ann LAMBERT were:
- Harriet MILLAR (1845-<1855), the reuse of her name by a younger child suggests she died whilst young.
- Stewart MILLAR (1846-?) born Edinburgh. Married Martha NICOLSON 1 Jun 1871 at Edinburgh and had issue at least 5 children.
- Margaret MILLAR (~1848-?) born Edinburgh.
- Connelly MILLAR (~1854-?)
- Harriet MILLAR (1855-?) born 25 Apr 1855 in Edinburgh.
- David MILLAR (1858-?) born 2 Jan 1858 in Edinburgh.
- Kenneth MILLAR (1859-?) born 22 Jun 1859 in Edinburgh.
- Thomas MILLAR (1862-?) born 2 Mar 1862 in Edinburgh.