The family of UMNEY are found in the Buckinghamshire village of Sherington going back in the Stuart age. Their earlier origins are unclear. Our ancestor, Richard UMNEY was born in 1701 in Sherington, but appears as a young man in the village of Putney which was then in Surrey in the early 1720s. He is then found in Roehampton, within Putney parish, where he died in 1775. His children then moved to Ratcliffe, but his granddaughter Elizabeth UMNEY (1765-1850) married Thomas FINCH of Roehampton and came back to life there for her married life.
The family is normally called ‘UMNEY’ but also sometimes as UMBLY, HUMNEY and HUMBLEY.
UMNEY of Sherington, Berkshire
John UMNEY of Sherington, Buckinghamshire (~1600-?) married Abigail (?-?) and had children as follows:
- Thomas UMNEY (1625-1711) of whom following.
- Elizabeth (1631-?) born in Sherington.
- Margaret (1633-?) born in Sherington.
- Mary (1636-?) born in Sherington.
Thomas UMNEY of Sherington, Buckinghamshire (1625-1711) baptism not found, but married Isabella (?-1660). His will is dated 15 Nov 1711 and he is buried at Sherington. His will was proved at the Archdeaconry Court of Buckinghamshire. They had children as follows:
- Thomas UMNEY (1661-1661) born and died in Sherington.
- Thomas UMNEY (1663-?) baptised in Sherington.
- John UMNEY (1665-1708) of whom following.
John UMNEY of Sherington, Buckinghamshire (1665-1708) born ~1665 at Sherington, married ~1690 Mary (1669-1716). He died Dec 1708 in Sherington, predeceasing his father. He and Mary had children as follows:
- John UMNEY (1693-1760) born in Sherington. Married twice, first to Elizabeth and then to Mary by each of whom he had three children.
- Thomas UMNEY (1696-?) born in Sherington. Married Mary (~1700-?) and had a daughter Mary (1720-?).
- Mary (1698-?) born in Sherington.
- Unknown child (1700-?) born in Sherington.
- Richard UMNEY (1701-1775) of whom following.
- Mark George UMNEY (1705-1708) born and died in Sherington.
Richard UMNEY of Sherington, Buckinghamshire and Roehampton, Surrey (1701-1775) Baptism in Sherington, moved to Putney, possibly for an apprenticeship, around 1715. Married 10 Apr 1727 Ann MOUNTAIN (1697-1773) by licence at St Nicholas Cole Abbey, London. She is possibly from the MOUNTENEY family of Buckinghamshire. Along with several others, he was the defendant in a case brought by Elizabeth CASLAKE in 1741, but he failed to reply to the summons issued by the court and was excommunicated the same year. Appears in rates for Roehampton in the 1760s and died in Mar 1775 as UMBLY. They had children as follows:
- Elizabeth (1728-?) born in Putney, Surrey.
- Richard UMNEY (1731-1731) born and died in Putney, Surrey.
- John UMNEY (1734-1789) of whom following
John UMNEY ropemaker of Ratcliffe, Middlesex (1734-1789) Baptism in Putney; apprenticed 1748 to Richard PEASE, ropemaker of Shepperton. Married 7 May 1757 Frances WHITCHURCH (1735-?) at St Mary Putney church; she was the daughter of Thomas WHITCHURCH and Ann BARNES and had been baptised at Putney in 1735. Their first daughter is born in Shepperton, suggesting that that is where they lived after John;s freedom. However subsequent children from 1760 are found in Ratcliffe. Buried in St Dunstan’s Stepney 14 Jul 1789. They had children as follows:
- Ann (1758-?) born in Shepperton but moved to Ratcliffe with family soon afterwards.
- John UMNEY (1760-1764) born and died in Ratcliffe.
- Thomas UMNEY of whom following.
- Elizabeth (1765-1850) born in Ratcliffe; married Thomas FINCH of Roehampton (where her grandfather lived) and had issue (see Finch of Roehampton).
- Hannah (1767-?) born in Ratcliffe.
- Frances (1769-1769) born and died in Ratcliffe.