GWYTHER is a Welsh name found primarily in Pembrokeshire and it is from this county that our family are found. The name appears on 17th Century documents in the Pembroke area, but I have not been able to trace our lines back with certainty beyond Henry GWYTHER (who lived in the late 1700s), but the fact that his son Thomas married a Jane GWYTHER from Angle (who is probably cousin) hints that Henry and Jane’s father James are related. Further work on the Gwyther family in this region may show links that can be traced further back.
Our Gwyther family were colourful characters, repeatedly in and out of prison and appearing in local newspapers for a catalogue of misdemeanours.
GWYTHER of Monkton, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Henry GWYTHER of Narberth, Pembrokeshire (~1740-1796) married 1761 Esther HOWELLS (?-?) at Narberth. Died at St Michael’s Pembroke. They had children as follows:
- Thomas GWYTHER (1766-1837) of whom following.
- Ann (1769-?) born at St Michael’s, Pembroke.
- Henry GWYTHER (1771-?) born at St Michael’s Pembroke.
Thomas GWYTHER of Monkton, Pembrokeshire (1766-1837) born in St Michael’s Pembroke, baptised 19 Oct 1766 at St Michael’s Pembroke. Married 6 Feb 1790 at Stackpole, Pembrokeshire Jane GWYTHER (1770-1850) of Stackpole Elidor, daughter of James and Mary GWYTHER and probably a cousin. Thomas moved to Monkton, Pembrokeshire after his marriage. He died in Feb 1837 at Monkton, and Jane died at Millbank, Monkton in 1850. They had children as follows:
- Thomas GWYTHER (~1792-?) reported as a son of the family to fill a gap between the birth of their first child at Monkton.
- John GWYTHER (1796-1814) born and died at Monkton.
- Robert GWYTHER (1798-1856) born in Monkton, married 1824 Mary THOMAS (1799-?) and had issue four sons and three daughters. In 1843 was indicted for the murder of his brother Benjamin, for which he was acquitted. Died 1856 at Millbank, Monkton, Pembrokeshire.
- Joseph GWYTHER (1800-1869) born in Monkton, married Mary RAYMOND. Had issue two sons and three daughters. Died in Pembroke.
- William GWYTHER (1805-?) born in Monkton; married Jane THOMAS and had issue 7 daughters and 3 sons.
- Benjamin GWYTHER (1808-1843) born in Monkton; married Maria TRUSCOTT 1833 an had issue three daughters and one son. Convicted 5 Apr 1836 with brothers Peter and George for assault of a police officer. Killed accidentally by his brother Robert during a drunken brawl in which he hit his head and died.
- Jane (1809-?) born in Monkton.
- George GWYTHER (1810-1867) born in Monkton, convicted with brothers Peter and Benjamin for assaulting a constable. Married Margaret McGIBBON (1820-1892) 1855 at Monkton; she was born in Scotland. They had issue one son and one daughter. He died at Monkton 1867, after which his widow Margaret emigrated to Canada, dying in Arthur, Manitoba 10 Jun 1892.
- Peter GWYTHER (1812-1887) of whom following.
- John GWYTHER (1814-1817) born and died in Monkton.
Peter GWYTHER of Monkton, Pembrokeshire, Wales (1812-1887) born at Monkton, married 1834 Sarah WATKINS, the widow of William Henry OGILBY (?-1832) and adopting their son George William OGILBY (1832-?). Convicted 5 Apr 1836 with brothers George and Benjamin of assaulting a constable, following a fracas in a public house in Monkton. Spent a year in Pembroke Gaol with hard labour from which he petitioned without success to be released. He died 16 Jan 1887 at the Commons, Pembroke. Peter and Sarah had children as follows:
- Mary Ann (1835-1909) born in Monkton; married David HOOKS and had children born in Cheltenham. Died 1 Mar 1909.
- Justinia alias Christina (~1837-?) born in Monkton; married John WILLIAMS and had issue.
- Caroline (1839-1914) born in Monkton; married 1859 Henry DAVIES (1835-1901) and had children of whom only one son (Albert 1861-?) survived. Took over supervision of her nieces and nephews, the children of Frederick (below). Died 1914 at Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire.
- Matilda (1842-1902) born in Monkton; married 1862 Joseph EGGLESTON and had issue 3 sons and a daughter. Died Apr 1902 at Pembroke.
- Evelina (1844-?) born in Monkton.
- Lavinia (1845-?) born in Monkton.
- Alfred GWYTHER (1850-1923) born in Monkton; married 1868 Evelina GWYTHER (1847-?, presumably a cousin) and had issue 3 daughters and 3 sons.
- Frederick GWYTHER (1852-1891) of whom following.
Frederick GWYTHER of The Commons, Pembroke, Wales (1852-1891) born at Monkton; married 9 May 1875 Ann SHANKLAND (1844-1889) of Bubbleton, Cresswell Quay, Pembrokeshire. Frederick was widowed in 1889 and he died 17 Dec 1891 at Orange Gardens, St Mary’s USD, Pembroke. Their children appear to have been cared for my his sister Caroline. Frederick and Ann had children as follows:
- George GWYTHER (~1872-?) born in St Mary’s Pembroke.
- Caroline Matilda (1875-1932) born in St Mary’s Pembroke. Moved to London ~1895 and in 1897 married 3 May 1897 Edward George TRIM (1876-1952). Lived in Zennor Road, Balham and had issue eight daughters and four sons. She died Sep 1932 in Zennor Road.
- William Henry GWYTHER (1877-1878) born and died in St Mary’s Pembroke.
- William Henry GWYTHER (1879-?) born in St Mary’s Pembroke.
- Sarah Elizabeth (1882-1885) born and died in St Mary’s Pembroke.
- Sarah Ann (1886-1952) born 22 Feb 1886 at The Commons, St Mary’s USD, Pembroke. Moved to London to be with her sister Caroline (see above) and also lived in Zennor Road, Balham. Married 1909 George William FINCH (1888-1946) and had issue four sons and two daughters. She died in Zennor Road, 1952.