For many years, we have been interested in the biographies of London clockmakers. This has involved trying to understand their professional outputs against the backdrop of family links and the contemporary documentary record. Some of our work has been published – others are work in progress.
The families we are particularly working on are:
- Bartholomew NEWSAM (c. 1530-1587)
- Randolph (c. 1550-1617) and John BULL (c. 1530-1587)
- Robert GRINKIN senior and junior
- David RAMSAY (c. 1580-1659)
- Edward EAST (1602-c. 1695)
- Thomas TOMPION (1639-1713)
We are including copies of published articles alongside transcripts of particularly informative documents that have assisted our interpretation of the maker’s life and works. There were transcribed by myself (Adrian Finch) and my parents Valerie and Anthony Finch. Where material is available open access, we include links to other websites.